Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Blackened Fish Tacos — a tasty recipe to add to your weekly meal plan that is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Cooking for my family during the week is extremely important to me. We try to save eating out for special occasions. It saves money and we eat a much healthier diet by cooking at home. At least once per week, I try to include a fish dish — and the fact that this one is ready in less than 30 minutes is a big plus!
What kind of fish should I use?
For this Blackened Fish Tacos recipe, I always recommend using a firm, white fish such as Mahi Mahi. It’s a great source of nutrition including Vitamin B, Omega-3s & Iron. Cod, Snapper, and Catfish are also other great choices.
Too Spicy? Cool It Down with Cream Avocado Sauce!
You can control the heat of this dish by limiting the cayenne pepper you use; but if you get carried away seasoning, add some creamy avocado sauce. Oh, who am I kidding?! It’s great to add either way!
Seasonings & Tools You’ll Need
- Cast Iron Skillet – to blacken your fish
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Spicy Dijon Mustard
- Corn Tortillas – gluten-free if you desire
- 1 T. onion powder
- 1 T. garlic powder
- 1½ T. smoked paprika
- 1 T. dried thyme
- 1 T. dried oregano
- 2 t. sea salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- ½ t. - 1 t. cayenne pepper*
- 3 c. green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 c. red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Optional: ½ c. kale leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/3 c. Greek yogurt
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- ¾ t. ground cumin
- ¾ t. spicy Dijon mustard
- 1 T. fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 18-20 oz. mahi-mahi or other firm white fish
- 4-5 large radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 T. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 8 8-inch corn or gluten-free tortillas
1.Combine the ingredients for the Blackened seasoning in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. To prepare the coleslaw, add the sliced cabbage, kale leaves (if using),and shredded carrot to a large, non-reactive bowl. Whisk the Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, ground cumin, Dijon mustard, and lime juice together in a smaller bowl and pour over top of the other vegetables. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine. Set aside.
3. Generously season both sides of the mahi-mahi with the blackened seasoning and rub to cover the entire fish and to make sure it adheres well. Carefully slice the fish into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
Note: You can slice the fish before seasoning, but it takes longer to coat each piece individually and the blackened flavor will be much stronger if all sides are coated.
4. Add the olive oil to a large cast iron or other skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add the seasoned fish and cook until opaque and flaky, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. To serve, evenly divide the creamy coleslaw and blackened fish between the 8 tortillas. Top with the sliced radishes and fresh cilantro leaves. If desired, drizzle some Creamy Avocado Sauce on top. Enjoy!
* Adjust amount of cayenne to reach desired level of heat
Time-Saving Tip: Use one 12-oz. bag of shredded coleslaw mix instead of the sliced vegetables to reduce prep time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3235 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 2428mg Sodium: 4277mg Carbohydrates: 69g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 16g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 628g
- 1 c. plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- ½ t. chili powder
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 T. fresh lime juice*
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. (*Add additional lime juice, if necessary, to reach desired consistency). Taste and adjust seasonings, to taste.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 109mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g