Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Chicken Lanzone is said to have originated at Brennan’s restaurant in New Orleans. This flavorful, naturally low carb recipe leverages a spice mixture of two parts garlic powder to one part each of onion powder, chili powder, and paprika. This version builds on this flavor profile with the introduction of sliced baby Portobello mushrooms.
Chicken Lanzone is traditionally served over pasta to absorb the delicious, creamy pan sauce. For a low carb version, it can also be enjoyed on its own or paired with mashed cauliflower, zucchini noodles, or steamed asparagus.
Ingredients and Tools You’ll Need:
An Instant Pot®, of course! I went with an 8 qt. because we have two teen boys in our house. You can imagine how much our meal portions have had to grow since their appetites increased!
Organic Chicken Broth is always a healthier bet when it comes to recipes. You’re getting a stock created without antibiotics and veggies picked at the peak of freshness.
A good wooden spoon or spatula goes a long way when it comes to your Instant Pot®. When you’re using the saute mode, the wooden spoons help scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the insert. And they add amazing flavor to your meals! This is the set I have — and I LOVE it!
Instant Pot® Chicken Lanzone with Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. paprika
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, butterflied
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 10 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ c. chicken broth, preferably organic
- ¾ c. heavy cream
- 2 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Combine garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub spice mixture into each butterflied chicken breast and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and add one tablespoon olive oil once hot. Add seasoned chicken breasts and brown on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. (Work in batches, if necessary, adding more olive oil as necessary). Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to Instant Pot®, along with sliced Portobello mushrooms. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms develop a nice golden brown color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and gently deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon in the process.
- Turn unit off and return chicken to the pot. Add lid and lock into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding a small amount of the hot cooking liquid to it before stirring it directly into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with some of the creamy sauce spooned over the chicken and mushrooms. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 650 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 244mg Sodium: 399mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 75g