Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Sun Drop Cake is a staple at potlucks, parties, and for everyday desserts here in Lynchburg. Our family likes to call it the “nectar of the South“. Check out this beautiful IP cake!
What is Sun Drop?
In simple terms, it’s a soda. Specifically, it’s a citrus soda that is bursting with lemon, lime, and orange flavors. One sip and you’ll fall in love! My personal favorite is the glass bottles that contain a little pulp.
If you don’t have this bottle of deliciousness in your area, reach out to the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group and request it! Sun Drop is available on Amazon for $16.99/12-pack if all else fails.
Can I use other drinks?
Yes! It can be interchanged for any soda/soft drink that you desire! We’ve tried it with a variety of our favorites.
Tools & Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Instant Pot – If you don’t have one and want to make a standard cake in the oven, try my Southern Sun Drop Cake recipe.
- Instant Pot Springform Pan – I use an 8 qt. pot and the 7″ pan fits perfectly.
- Sun Drop Soda (or your favorite kind!)
- White/Yellow/Lemon Cake Mix – Any work! If you use the white or yellow, I add a teaspoon of lemon juice or extract to the mix.
- Vegetable/Canola Oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 box cake mix (white, yellow, or lemon)
- ¾ cup Sun Drop (or soda of choice)
- ¾ cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 eggs
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Set your Instant Pot to 'Saute' mode for 5 minutes and add the 1 cup of water.
- Mix the cake mix, soda, oil, and eggs in a large bowl until no lumps remain.
- Spray your springform pan with nonstick spray.
- Pour cake mix into springform pan and gently lower into Instant Pot with trivet.
- Change settings to 'Manual', 'High Pressure', for 45 minutes.
- Once finished, to a quick-release and carefully remove the cake from the IP.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 531 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 93mg Sodium: 518mg Carbohydrates: 72g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 46g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g